We work with great minds building viable solutions that change the world.
Would you like to join us?
Job Title: Entrepreneurship Associate
Duration: 24 months, Renewable Contract
Location: Lusaka (Primary); Flexible/Remote
Reports to: Manager Entrepreneurship Programmes
Start Date: 8th January, 2024
BongoHive is determined to work with great minds that are building viable solutions that change the world. Over the past ten (12) years, BongoHive has supported over two thousand (2,000) enterprises in collaboration with over twenty-three (23) public, private, local and international partners to build cutting edge products and services, delivering value to their customers and shareholders across four (4) countries.
The team leverages various methodologies such as design thinking, lean startup modelling, agile and scrum methodologies. In practice this includes, but is not limited to innovation challenges that BongoHive facilitates on behalf of corporations by collaborating with staff through short, intensive hackathons, sprints and co-creation workshops pulling on experts, techies & consumers alike to design & test ideas solving social or business challenges that impede business growth.
About the Entrepreneurship Unit:
As an entrepreneurship associate in the BongoHive Innovations – Entrepreneurship Unit, the associate will be a key member of the organisation contributing broadly in the following ways: designing entrepreneurship programmes and providing consultation to clients, entrepreneurs, and leading cross-functional teams to address business challenges. The associate will additionally provide recommendations and strategic/technical departmental plans based on business and market data.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Design, facilitate, and support entrepreneurship programmes, workshops, and challenges
- Lead & manage the application & communications process across the entrepreneurship programmes
- Collaborate with the marketing team to ensure seamless, actionable campaigns are created which convert leads into applications & fill the programme with quality candidates
- Collaborate across other functional teams to support the integration of information into strategic planning recommendations.
- Leverage BongoHive Innovations’ unique data used to power innovative approaches to address business challenges and identify external and internal entrepreneur opportunities that align with market trends and business needs.
- Lead project management and coordination/development of work plans, deliverables, and activities.
- Manage internal and external relationships and cultivate new relationships with clients, entrepreneurs, mentors and other community stakeholders to support BongoHive programs and events.
- Generate project reports, updates, and other resources for internal and external use
- Collaborate with the finance team to ensure all project fees and costs are requested and reported on time.
- Be present for scheduled weekly and monthly staff meetings and provide updates on her/his learnings, achievements, lessons, identified opportunities, and challenges in the week prior and the week ahead.
Key Requirements / Competencies:
- Post-graduate education in a relevant field, or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of strategic analysis, entrepreneurship (or intrapreneurship), design thinking, and/or innovation.
- Keen interest in technology and digital transformation (experience working in the field is a plus).
- Strong organisational skills and detailed orientation.
- Ability to analyse and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare presentations or reports.
- Ability to learn and effectively use new software and other technology to manage operational processes.
- Demonstrated project management, quantitative and analytical, and oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, and work both collaboratively or independently as tasks require.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to negotiate, influence, and collaborate with others.
- Ability to work well as part of a tech-first, fast-paced, asynchronous team.
- A positive attitude, professional appearance, and manner (in written and verbal communication).
- Excellent computer skills, not limited to Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
- Ability to multitask within BongoHive’s collaborative team structure and open work environment with varied noise and distractions levels.
- This position requires flexible hours of work which includes working long hours and weekends
Job Title: Senior Software Developer
Reports to: Manager – Technology Consulting
Terms: Full-time, 24 months (Renewable Contract)
Location: Lusaka (Primary); Hybrid/Remote
Start Date: ASAP
BongoHive supports entrepreneurs of any background, by enhancing skills, accelerating growth, strengthening networks of collaboration, and helping them navigate the barriers to growth. BongoHive delivers its support to enterprises through custom incubation and accelerator programmes.
Utilising this knowledge of the level and type of support required to build strong cohorts of startups and scale-up enterprises, BongoHive also provides custom interventions to SMEs and corporations through its Consult arm. The Consult team delivers tailored structured innovation and digital transformation consultancy that allows clients to grow their market through new ideas, products, approaches and technology.
BongoHive also offers flexible coworking offices for startups and entrepreneurs under the Hive Coworking brand.
The purpose of the BongoHive Consult Tech team is to, “To create sustainable value through wisdom, understanding and mastery of design and technology”. As a Senior Software Developer, you will demonstrate that you are aligned with our purpose.
As a senior software developer, you will use human-centered design to interrogate how relevant and sustainable a proposed solution is. You are responsible for user research, input into the design phase, user stories, architecture, software development, documentation and training.
You will demonstrate an understanding of the impact that design has on the architecture and development of a software solution. You will use your experience of human-centred design to interact with the target audience to create the best platform possible with the available resources. You will also demonstrate the value of collaboration and business continuity. You will be paired with software developer interns on a rotational basis and will drive our effort to constantly improve our project and process documentation. You will be individually responsible for making sure that you communicate project and process information to other members of the organization so that your absence does not unnecessarily retard progress.
You will be responsible for designing system architecture and committing tested, secure and maintainable code in collaboration with your teammates.
- Advocate for improvements to solution quality, security, and performance that have a particular impact on your team
- Solve technical problems of high scope, complexity and scale
- Communicate – ask critical questions, give constructive feedback, give status updates and constantly improve the quality of your communication (in person and remotely)
- Guide software developer interns on a rotational basis
- Write user stories
- Write tests
- Interrogate application design (user experience and architecture)
- Commit and deploy highly functional and maintainable code
- Interact with APIs
- Perform code reviews
- Understand client needs and map them into elegant software solutions
- Write documentation
- Be an example to interns on the team by being punctual, supportive, collaborative and deliberate about maintaining documentation
- Lead at least one 1-hour investment day session on a topic of your choice
- Occasionally answer customer support questions
- Occasional setup of hardware, software and networking
- Occasionally participate in on-call support rotations
What we are looking for
- Degree in Computer Science/ Information Technology or Diploma in Computer related field (or higher experience)
- Experience with human-centred design (HCD)
- Analytical and communication skills
- Exceptional collaboration ability
- Ability to work without much supervision
- Curiosity, and a willingness to experiment, ask questions and learn
- Confidence in user research practices
- Engagement with the latest design research and innovation
- Must have at least one deployed project
Deadline for Applications
- 23:59hrs, Friday 10 November 2023
BongoHive is committed to employment equity initiatives, and to having a team that reflects the diversity of the issues and communities we work with. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that applicants may bring, including those based on race, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, ability, age, and religion. We welcome both lived and academic experience, and encourage applicants to note this in their application. In our inclusive workplace everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair, and respectful treatment.