If the terms game-changer, thought-leader and startup-guru ring true of you then this is the ultimate job for you. We are searching for someone with strong accounting and finance knowledge who’s experienced in scaling startups.
BongoHive is Zambia’s first technology and innovation hub. Since 2011, we’ve been organising issue specific workshops and seminars, running developer groups on a variety of topics such as gaming and robotics, provided strategic and practical business advice, incubated startups and hosted a wide range of industry networking events. In January 2016, we will be launching a host of new programmes all focused on identifying Zambia’s best and brightest entrepreneurs, bringing them into our space and turning their ideas and projects into scalable businesses. Here is a list of the projects our accounting and finance extraordinaire will be working on:
- Entrepreneurship Training Programme – a three-week monthly bootcamp to give those with great ideas the tools to refine their ideas and launch their businesses
- Startup Incubator – a six-month programme where Zambia’s most promising startups work from BongoHive and are taken through a structured yet tailored process surrounded by professional assistance, mentors and investors
- Workshops – a series of issue-specific in-depth workshops geared at equipping participant startups with tangible skills and outcomes that will immediately impact their business
- In-House Accounting – manage our books to help us steer the ship
Essentially, in this full-time role, you will be responsible for all things accounting and finance. We aren’t accountants and will be relying on you to inform us on what needs to happen and how to get it done. You NEED to love what you do and passionately believe in BongoHive’s goal of driving the development of the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Zambia.
Entrepreneurship Training Programme
- Create the framework and process for startups to be taught accounting fundamentals required to launch and run a startup
- Work with ETP participants to ensure that they understand and are correctly using the accounting information taught
- Provide on-going feedback on how to improve the accounting section of the ETP through observing both ETP participants and startups in the Startup Incubator
- Ensure startups are understanding and applying their accounting knowledge to their business properly on an on-going basis for recording keeping and strategic purposes
- Work with each startup to develop their ability to analyse their management accounts in a way that influences decision-making
- Create and deliver an in-depth replicable workshop that equips each participant with the skills to go beyond record keeping and use their numbers to drive decision-making and growth. Suggested workshop topics include:
- Operating Model – understanding the dynamics of your business
- Financial Accounts – profit and loss, cash-flow, balance sheet
- Management Accounts – product mix and sales forecast, key ratios, forecasting
- We need someone to keep our books in order and ready to be easily audited o
- Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies and principles o
- Improve systems and procedures and initiate corrective actions
- Able to track expenses by project and report against budgets
Suggested Experience & Qualifications
- Proven leadership experience with a quickly growing startup or small business
- You are an Excel geek and have thought about legally adding .xlsx after your last name =) o Seriously though, you need to be a whiz with MS Office and accounting software
- Qualified accountant (Bachelors degree in accounting or finance) with strong understanding of Zambian regulation (ZICA or equivalent qualification with local experience)
- Experience of business registration and local Zambian business law
- Believes in the power of business to drive positive social and environmental change
- A track record in understanding the needs of SME’s
- Teaching experience or a track record of mentorship is desirable
This is a full-time role from our office. Although we are flexible, this role requires quite a bit of face-time with our startups. The salary is in line with the industry and the title is Accounting & Finance Lead which reports to the Executive Director.
- Strong voice and a leader
- Visionary yet pragmatic
Are you a Woman?
Although this position is open to men and women alike, we are strongly encouraging women to apply. Women are 49.59% of the world’s population so women need 49.59% of the awesome jobs, like this one
Want to Apply?
Email your resume to [email protected] along with a concise introductory email telling us why you’re awesome and the perfect fit for this role. Don’t bother sending us a cover letter, particularly a generic one because they’re boring and don’t tell us much. Applications will be accepted until December 11th .