The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) shall hold a Young Innovators Competition in October 2015. The Young Innovators Competition is an annual ITU Telecom Initiative aimed at talented young social entrepreneurs using Information and Communications Technologies (ICT) creatively to meet a range of real-life developmental challenges. In previous years, the competition has had winners from many countries in the third world, including some from Africa.
In preparation for the ITU’s Young Innovators Competition, the Zambia Information and Communications Technology Authority (ZICTA) shall be holding a one day workshop on April 16, 2015, at the ZICTA premises in Long Acres, corner of United Nations and Independence Avenue. The purpose of the workshop shall be to assist young innovators wishing to participate in the ITU’s competition with the necessary information and strategies as they prepare to enter the competition.
It should be noted that this workshop shall be for participants with innovative ICTs-related ideas or inventions which the country can potentially select as local entries into the ITU Young Innovators Competition. Those that are interested in participating in this preparatory workshop are kindly requested to ensure that their ICT project submissions adhere to the following aspects that shall be used to determine ZICTA’s selecting criterion for the workshop:
- Innovativeness – The innovation will have to be original and different from similar existing initiatives. Preferebely, the submission should represent a new invention or the creation of a better process;
- Business Potential – The submission should address a clearly identified need in society and/or should offer a lasting financial appeal;
- Likelihood of success – The applicant should show ability to implement the submission and exhibit the viability of the submission’s viability;
- The submission should be laid out in a logical and organized manner;
- Innovators should be aged between 18 and 35 years of age.
All ICT project submissions should be done via the following link: www.zicta.zm/younginnovatorsworkshop in word format accompanied by a power point presentation. Only candidates whose submissions shall meet the above selection criterion shall be invited to attend this preparatory workshop.
Deadline for submissions is Friday, April 3, 2015 and only submissions made via the link provided shall be considered.